The title of this post should really be “The Evolution of a Color Block Top.” Most of the time when I sew, I have pretty good direction with a clear end result in mind. For this outfit, that was not the case at all!
Let’s start at the beginning. Next month, my “Flip This Pattern” post is due. (You can click below if you have no idea what I’m talking about.) I figured I’d sew up the Heidi and Finn Colorblock Dress as is before I tried out my flip. I thought it would be fun to bleach some lightweight denim to have different shades for my colorblock. About 30 minutes into the bleach bath, I couldn’t see any change in color and my impatience won over. I abandoned ship and pulled out three other fabrics I thought would do the trick. After cutting out the top and middle sections of the dress, I decided I didn’t like the third fabric in the combo to make the dress. And this, my friends, is why you you see a colorblock top before you. Do you see how scattered I can be!?!
I actually love how the top ended up working out! It’s a supper easy change too. Like I said, I just used the top and middle sections of the pattern. I used the bottom pattern piece to shape a nice curve for the bottom of the middle section and trimmed the lining piece down to match.
A nice vintage button finishes off the back.
The shorts have a story of their own. The pattern is the bubble pocket shorts pattern from a Japanese sewing book that I made here without the pockets. I used an old pair of capri pants for the fabric. My two year old managed to get a hold of some scissors and clip into the top of the shorts before I had sewn on the elastic casing. The pocket flap from my old capris makes a nice coverup!
Thanks for going on this random journey with me. Hopefully I’ll get a bit of focus back soon!
Note, this is not my pattern flip, so stayed tuned in April for the real fun!