I don't often make my daughter's matching outfits, and I never thought I would make all three of us coordination outfits. I'm so glad I did!!
Christmas Eve was, and likely is, the only occasion we wore these all together. I know in a few short years my daughters wouldn't be caught dead matching their mother, and I tend to agree. But, at this age, it was a highlight.
It all started with Tami's Thea dress in this very fabric from Hobby Lobby. I knew we needed it for our Christmas dresses!
First, I made Tandy's dress using the Modkid Aubrey pattern. I knew I wanted to use some of the fabric on the bias, and the Aubrey pattern provided the perfect backdrop. I omitted the hidden kangaroo pocket for simplicity.
I grabbed the Blaverry Thea dress during the going-out-of-business sale for Avery's dress. Not only was the fabric inspired by Tami of Sew Sophie Lynn, but I duplicated her whole dress. I must say the sizing on the Thea dress was a bit odd for us, and I had to blend between several sizes. It all worked out in the end.
When I realized I had enough fabric left, I figure a skirt for me was in order. Almost exactly one year ago, I bought the red gathered elastic at M&J Trimming during a trip to NYC. I basically used this method for an exposed elastic waist skirt except I stitched the elastic on top of the fabric, so the entire width of the elastic would be exposed. I can count my successful sews for myself on one hand without even using all of my fingers, so maybe simplicity is the key. I don't know, but I'm counting this as a success.
My sister took the amazing photos of the three of us at my parent's ranch. I was doubtful the fog would give us enough light, but it turned out to be such a beautiful backdrop. Too bad I can't perfectly plan photos for foggy days!
Our Christmas break was filled with family, fun, and a little stressful house hunting in Austin. We hope you had a very merry Christmas, and your New Year has started with great hope and anticipation.