Last week I posted a tutorial on the Modkid blog for drafting a flounce sleeve from the straight sleeve pattern of the Modkid Dakota. I am finally getting around to revealing the complete dress.
Yes, I said dress. Even though the Dakota pattern is designed as a top, it is simple to modify to dress length.
I simply measured how much longer I would need the pattern to be for a dress length and took into account the hem allowance. For me, it was 8.75". Since the top already has plenty of swing and an A-line shape, I could just extend the side seam angle to my lengthened line. The final step I took was to curve up the bottom hem just slightly at the side seam end. Done!
I played around with a little knit fringe too. I started with 3/4" wide strips of knit. The knit needs to have some spandex in it to curl up nicely. Once stretched, the strip develops that curl, do just give it a tug or two. Before I sewed the skirt piece to the yoke, I tucked a few short knotted pieces into the seam. (Well, that's actually what you should do. I forgot I was adding this detail and needed to unpick my seam, and my serged seam, to secure it in place.) For the trim piece, I just spread the curled piece open and sewed it down the middle right along the seam.
Be sure to check out that flounce sleeve tutorial on the Modkid blog. You could apply the same technique to a myriad of patterns.
I love a good base pattern with tons of possibilities!